I was on my way to the Taiyetos Mountains. The sun was setting when my car ___31___ （break) down near a remote and poor village. Cursing my misfortune,I was wondering where I was going to spend the night when I realized that the villagers who had gathered around me were arguing as to ___32___ should have the honor of receiving me ___33___ a guest in their house. Finally, I accepted the offer of an old woman who lived alone in a little house. While she was getting me ___34___ （settle）into a tiny but clean room, the head of the village was tying up his horse to my car to pull it to ___35___ small town some 20 kilometres away___36___there was a garage.
I had noticed three hens running free in my hostess's courtyard and that night one of them ended up in a dish on my table. ___37___ villagers brought me goat's cheese and honey. We drank together and talked ___38___ （merry）till far into the night.
When the time came for me to say goodbye to my friends in the village,I wanted to reward the old woman ___39___the trouble I had caused ___40___.
31. broke 32. who 33. as 34. settled 35. a
36. where 37. Other 38. merrily 39. for 40. her
31. broke 由全文可知这是叙述过去的经历，用一般过去式；再说was/were doing…when… did…是一个固定句型，when后面的句子的谓语用一般过去时，表示“正在做某事，就在这个时候发生了另一事”。
32. who 引导宾语从句且在从句中作主语，可知“有幸接接待我”的应是表示人的who。
33. as 意为 “把我当作客人”来接待。
34. settled 由settle sb. into/in/on…(使某人舒服地处于某处)可知，me与settle是被动关系，要用过去分词用宾补。又如：A nurse settled the old man into a chair.护士让那位老人舒舒服服地坐在椅子上。
35. a 指将车拉到离那里大约有20公里远的“一个小镇”。表示“一个”，用不定冠词。
36. where 先行词是a small town，并在定语从句中作状语，用where (=in which)引导定语从句。注意，先行词与定语从句被some 20 kilometres away隔开了。
37. Other 拿goat's cheese and honey来给我的应是“其他的”村民。
38. merrily 修饰动词talked作状语，应用副词merrily。
39. for 表示“因……而酬谢/报答某人”是reward sb. for sth.，类似的表达还有thank sb. for sth.; praise sb. for sth.; punish sb. for sth.等。
40. her 因(that) I had caused是定语从句，先行词是trouble, 代表trouble的关系代词that在从句中作宾语被省略了；由搭配cause sb. trouble =cause trouble for sb.(给某人造成麻烦)可知，此处应填her。