I 语言知识及应用 (共两节，满分45分)
第一节 完形填空 (共15小题；每小题2分，满分30分)
Over half the world’s people now live in cities. The latest “Global Report on Human Settlements” says a ____1______change took place last year. The report____2______this week from U.N. Habitat, a United Nations agency.
A century ago, ____3_____than five percent of all people lived in cities. By the middle of this century it could be seventy percent, or almost six and a half billion people. Already three-fourths of people in ______4_______ countries live in cities. Now most urban population______5_________ is in the developing world.
Urbanization can 6 to social and economic progress, but also put _____7______on cities to provide housing and 8 . The new report says almost two hundred thousand people move into cities and towns each day. It says worsening inequalities, 9 by social divisions and differences in 10 , could result in violence and crime unless cities plan better.
Another issue is urban sprawl (无序扩展的城区). This is where cities 11 quickly into rural areas, sometimes at a much faster rate than urban population growth.
Sprawl is 12 in the United States. Americans move a lot. In a recent study, Art Hall at the University of Kansas found that people are moving away from the 13 cities to smaller ones. He sees a 14 toward “de-urbanization” across the nation.
But urban economies still provide many 15 that rural areas do not.
1. A. significant B. strange C. deliberate D. famous
2. A. came on B. came off C. came over D. came out
3. A. more B. other C. less D. rather
4. A. prosperous B. developed C. successful D. developing
5. A. extension B. addition C. raise D. growth
6. A. keep B. turn C. lead D. refer
7. A. pressure B. load C. restraint D. weight
8. A. surroundings B. communities C. concerns D. services
9. A. pulled B. driven C. drawn D. pressed
10. A. situation B. wealth C. treasure D. category
11. A. expand B. split C. invade D. enlarge
12. A. ordinary B. conventional C. common D. frequent
13. A. essential B. previous C. original D. major
14. A. trend B. style C. direction D. path
15. A. abilities B. qualities C. possibilities D. realities
第二节 语法填空 (共10小题，每小题1.5分，满分15分)
The interest in studying abroad, particularly in ESL, is on the rise around the world as students seek to obtain ______16______ university degree to advance their job opportunities. ______17_______, students need to decide if studying abroad will help them reach their goals.
First, try to determine whether studying abroad will really help you in your future____18________if going overseas is just a fashion or right of passage for citizens in your country. Ask people _____19_______ have studied overseas if the experience has helped them ______20______(educate) and financially in the long run.
Second, consider ______21______ impact studying abroad will have on your family. Will______22______be a financial burden to study overseas? What are your family's expectations for you once you return to your country?
Third, think about whether you really are flexible and open-minded enough ________23_________(endure) the challenges of adjusting to a foreign culture. If you feel ________24__________(comfort) with your answers to these questions, then you should proceed and look into studying abroad______25______ more detail.