1. These countries ___________ many wars during the 1930s.
A. went over B. went through
C. got over D. got on
2. They were stuck in a shipwreck when they went on a ________ to the Antarctica.
A. voyage B. journey C. travel D. tour
3. Mr. Smith is repairing his car which was ________ in the accident.
A. destroyed B. ruined
C. damaged D. crashed
4. He was slightly _________ in the accident and went home by himself.
A. injured B. wounded
C. killed D. harmed
5. He _________ at 9 this morning and was late for school.
A. took up B. took down
C. turned up D. turned out
1-5 BACAC 6-10 BABDA
6. As it was inconvenient for the blind people to walk outside, a dog _______ guide them.
A. used to B. was used to
C. got used to D. used
7. His father _________ the parents’ meeting yesterday.
A. attended B. joined
C. joined in D. took part in
8. The party will be held in the garden, weather _________.
A. allowing B. permitting
C. admitting D. granting
9. The hall which was built last year can ________ 200 people.
A.involve B.include C.have D. hold
10. Why are you so impressed with this lady? According to me, she’s just an _______ person.
A.ordinary B.common C.average D. usual
11. The government _________ him the title of “ A Little Hero” after he saved people in the earthquake.
A. rewarded B. awarded
C. prized; D. respected
12. He ______ at the enemy when he knew his son was killed in the battle.
A. glanced B. glared
C. stared D. looked
13. The meeting ________ at 8 o’clock as planned.
A. occurred B. happened
C. took place D. came about
14. The bomb exploded ________ along the border of the two countries.
A. aloud B. loudly
C. louder D. loud
15. When walking _______ the forest, she was robbed by a man.
A.cross B. across C. over D. through
11-15 BBCBD 16-20 ACDDB
16. He is _________ to be late this morning.
A. likely B. possible
C. probable D. probably
17. Guangzhou is a city that is well _______ a visit.
A. worthy B. worthwhile
C. worth D. valuable
18. Come _____! I want to tell you something.
A. closely B. closed
C. closing D. close
19. The electricity is _________, so we can’t use the air conditioner now.
A. cut down B. cut up
C. cut out D. cut off
20. The present you gave me is so ________. I like it very much.
A. valueless B. special
C. strange D. abnormal
21. When the police asked her, she gave a(an) _________ account of the accident.
A. accurate B. urgent
C. humorous D. correct
22. Jimmy was ________ in his computer game with the result that he didn’t hear what we were talking about.
A. concentrated B. absorbed
C. engaged D. occupied
23. He wonders if it is the same to _______ a part-time job online as a full-time one.
A. appeal to B. intend to
C. lead to D. apply for
24. When you do exercises, your heart works better. It is able to______ more blood while beating more slowly.
A. produce B. pump
C. increase D. bump
25. Although I had read the book assigned by the professor several times, it didn’t make any ______ to me.
A. meaning B. importance
C. sense D. significance
26. In the botanic garden we can find a (n) _____ of plants that range from tall trees to small flowers.
A. species B. group
C. amount D. variety
27. According to the recent research, heavy coffee drinking and heart disease is not necessarily _____ and effect.
A. reason B. impact
C. fact D. cause
28. According to the new research gardening is a more _____ exercise for older women than jogging or swimming.
A. mental B. physical
C. effective D. efficient
29．Sugar is not an important element in bread, but flour is _____.
A. especial B. essential
C. natural D. adequate
30. The teacher wrote an example on the blackboard to _____ to point.
A. illustrate B. suggest
C. express D. recognize
31. The carpet where he _____was warm and comfortable, so he slept soundly.
A. was laying B. was lying
C. had laid D. had lied
32. I’m planning to hold a party in the open air, but I can make no guarantees because it _____ the weather.
A. links with B. depends on
C. connects to D. decides on
33. To keep healthy, Professor Smith _____ cycling as a regular form of exercise after he retired.
A. took up B. caught on
C. carried out D. made for
34. Premier Wen Jiabao noted that the two most important problems would be previous to anything else in the government __________ report.
A. annual B. accessible
C. adequate D. appropriate
35. I managed to get in touch with my old schoolmates graduated in 2003 to___________ in the hundredth anniversary of school Day of our high school.
A. participate B. perform
C. possess D. punctuate
36. After four years’ studying in college, he managed to get the ____________ as a lawyer.
A. questionnaire B. qualification
C. identification D. graduation.
37. Many new couples are eager to __________ the children losing their parents in the earthquake.
A. advocate B. assume
C. allocate D. adopt
38. A good teacher must know how to __________ his ideas.
A. convey B. display
C. consult D. confront
39. He refused to say anything not ___________ to the present question.
A. radioactive B. random
C. relevant D. reasonable
not relevant to the present question 和...无关的
at random 随便地, 胡乱地, 漫无目的地
a reasonable man通情达理的人
a reasonable price公平的价格
40. In modern society, people accept to use plastics as a _________for steel.
A. substitute B. section
C. skyscraper D. souvenirs[su:vEniE]
use plastics as a substitute for steel 用塑料做钢的代用品
substitute A for B 用A代B
substitute sb. by [with] another 用别人接替某人
When Uncle Bill went abroad to live, he left me his watch as a souvenir.比尔叔叔出国时把表留给我作为纪念品。
（一） 根据情景，完成下面的单词，并使句子的意思完整。 （0.5x20=10）
1.He is such a d____ man that he refuses to give up no matter what problems he faces.( determined )
2.These days most people are c_______ with each other using the Internet.communicating
3.Michael was so good a student that he was a_____ to Oxford University.admitted
4.Having been injured in the a , he could not attend the meeting in the flesh.
5．They put an a__ in a newspaper looking for a qualified mechanic.