A Teaching Plan for
“Chemical or Organic Farming?”
Module 4 Unit 2
1. Develop students’ reading skills by skimming for main ideas and scanning for details.
2. Have students learn and talk about disadvatages of chemical farming and advantages of organic farming methods.
3. Enable students to learn the use of some useful expressions.
Important and different teaching points:
1. Enable students to learn to use strategies such as skimming, scanning, and so on to do their reading.
2. Grasp some useful new words and expressions in this text:
chemical, production, cause damage to, bacteria, wash off, build up, lead to, in addition, fucus on, keep…free from/of, every few years, avoid doing, …
A multimedia project, a tape recorder, two different kinds of oranges.
Step 1. Revision
Revise the grammar in this unit. What is followed by these verbs or phrases, “to do” or “doing”? If both can be used, what’s the difference between them?
(Show some verbs or verb phrses on the screen.)
Step 2. Warming up
Show two oranges, and ask the students:
Which kind of oranges is more expensive?
What’s the differnnce between the two kinds?
Can you guess why?
Say: It’s difficult to tell the difference only by looking at their appearances. In fact, this kind is more expensive because they say the farmar grows it using natrual fertilizers, while the othe kind using chemical ones. (Show pictures of natrual fertilizers and chemical fertilizers.) Today we’ll learn the text “Chemical or Organic Farming?”.
Step 3. Reading
1. Ask students to read quickly and find out:
1). What is organic farming?
2). What is the goal of using organic farming methods?
Skim to find the topic sentence or main idea for each paragraph.
Para 1. Long-term use of chemical fertilizers can cause damage to the land and people’s health.
Para 2. Problems caused by chemical fertilizers
Para 3. Farmers and customers turn to organic farming.
Para 4. Other methods to keep the soil fertile.
Scan to find details of chemical farming and organic farming by filling the charts:
1). What problems are caused by chemical farming?
2). How do they cause the problems?