Heavy storms that have caused 70 deaths in southern China in the past week will continue to lash Guangdong over the next two days, with strong winds and hail in some areas, the National Meteorological Center said yesterday (May 9).
Rain started falling in Shenzhen last night and will continue today before easing tomorrow, Shenzhen's meteorological observatory said yesterday.
Heavy rain Thursday night brought 110 millimeters of rainfall to shenzhen and caused flooding in low-lying areas and roads to collapse.
Some sections of Bao'an Boulevard, National Highway 107 and Fulong Road were flooded Friday and more than 300 flights were either canceled or delayed Thursday night and early Friday morning.
A storm that started Wednesday flooded Guangzhou with thousands of cars stalled in floodwaters and traffic paralyzed on trunk roads, the Yangcheng Evening News reported yesterday.
Storms claimed the lives of 16 people and five others were missing in Guangdong by Saturday afternoon. Damage was estimated at 1.05 billion RMB (154 million USD), sources from the provincial flood control and drought relief headquarters said.
The death toll from fierce storms ravaging southern China had climbed to 70 after five people previously listed as missing were found dead in Jiangxi yesterday. The storms have affected millions in Sichuan, Chongqing, Guizhou, Jiangxi, Guangdong and Hunan.
The public was warned to be on guard against lightning strikes and to turn off electrical appliances during thunderstorms.
China's weather had been abnormal in recent months and it was possible China would experience extreme weather this year, a China Meteorological Administration (CMA) forecast said.
(By Han Ximin)