1. Tom suggested that we _____ a meeting, but Jenny insisted that it ______ of no importance.
A. not hold; should be B. didn’t hold; be C. hold; was D. not hold; was
2. He went from door to door, ______ waste paper and magazines.
A. storing B. grasping C. asking D. collecting
3. The poem is hard to understand. Can you make ____ of this poem?
A. idea B. knowledge C. sense D. understanding
4. If you ______ yourself, I am sure you can catch up with others in a short time.
A. stick to B. devote to C. believe D. believe in
5. I failed in the final examination last term and only then ______ the importance of studies.
A. I realized B. I had realized C. had I realized D. did I realize
6. I feel it is your husband that ______ for the spoiled child.
A. is to blame B. is going to blame C. is to be blamed D. should blame
7. ______ she is not so healthy _____ she used to be?
A. How it is that; as B. Why is it that; what C. Is it why; that D. Why is it that; as
8. Today’s basketball match _____ as one of the most exciting matches that these two teams have ever played.
A. ranks B. regards C. treats D. thinks
9. That day Tom lost control _____ himself and hit Jack, but later Tom made an apology.
A. with B. of C. under D. in
10. We volunteered to collect money to help the ______ of the earthquake.
A. victims B. folks C. fellows D. villagers
11. One of the advantages of living on the top floor of a highrise is that you can get a good _____.
A. sight B. scene C. view D. look
12. It was announced that only when the fire was under control ______ to return to their homes.
A. the residents would be permitted B. had the residents been permitted
C. would the residents be permitted D. the residents had been permitted
13. The hotel itself can seat 80 guests and, ______, there are several other entertaining apartments.
A. in addition B. in total C. in all D. all in all
14. The theory he stuck to ______ to be true.
A. is proved B. proving C. proved D. be proved
15. Only if ______ your work before nine _____ go out to play.
A. do you finish; can you B. you finish; you can C. you finish; can you D. do you finish; you can
16. Reading is an experience quite different from watching TV, and there are pictures _____ in your mind instead of before your eyes.
A. to form B. form C. forming D. having formed